TYPOGRAPHY / TASK 2: TYPOGRAPHIC EXPLORATION AND COMMUNICATION

TYPOGRAPHY / TASK 2: TYPOGRAPHIC EXPLORATION AND COMMUNICATION

26/08/2022–16/10/2022 / Week 5–Week 7

Jason Antony / 0356335

Typography / Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media / The Design School

Task 2: Typographic Exploration and Communication 

Lectures

See lecture notes in Task 1: Exercises.

Instructions

Module Information Booklet



Task 2 Typographic Exploration and Communication

References


Fig.0.1 https://pin.it/6BwXKXJ

Fig.0.2 https://pin.it/5dokYQ1

Little ornamentation may be seen in Bauhaus designs, which emphasize balanced proportions and abstract shapes like geometric shapes. Hence all the layout designs conform to the whole concept of bauhaus. 

Sketches

Fig. 1.1 1st sketch (3/10/2022)


Fig. 1.2 2nd sketch (3/10/2022)


Fig. 1.3 3rd sketch (3/10/2022)


Fig. 1.4 4th sketch (3/10/2022)

These are my rough layout sketches for task 2. I didn't do as many rough sketches as I would have since I want to test out layouts in InDesign straight away to see how the text will actually appear. Because of the line length, point size, leading, and paragraph spacing, among other things, it differs greatly from drawings.

Type Expressions

Fig. 2.1 (4/10/2022)

These are the type expressions I did in Adobe Illustrator. Among the 4, my favorites were the 1st and 3rd expressions.

Layout Exploration

1st Exploration


Fig. 3.1 Layout 1 (7/10/2022)


Fig. 3.2 Layout 2 (7/10/2022)



Fig. 3.3 Layout 3 (7/10/2022)

2nd Exploration

Out of the 3 layouts, I decided to iterate more on the first layout since I felt like it has the most potential to produce the most interesting layout. 



Fig 4.1 Layout 1 iteration 1 (8/10/2022) 




Fig 4.2 Layout 1 iteration 2 (8/10/2022) 



Fig 4.3 Layout 1 iteration 3 (8/10/2022) 


Fig 4.4 Layout 1 iteration 4 (8/10/2022)

Shortlisted Layouts

Fig 5.1 shortlisted layout 1 (8/10/2022)

This is my favorite layout out of all the layouts that have been explored. I feel like the rotation adds an interesting element to the editorial. The title is also in the center of focus as how I wanted it to be. 

Fig. 5.2 shortlisted layout 2 (8/10/2022)

This is my 2nd favorite layout. I feel that this layout is united well and easily readable, however, it lacks that wow factor. 

Final Task 2: Typographic Exploration and Communication

Fig.6.1 Final Task 2 without grids (JPG) (14/10/2022)


Fig.6.2 Final Task 2 with grids (JPG) (14/10/2022)


Fig.6.3 Final Task 2 (PDF) (14/10/2022)

Small headings
Fonts: Futura Std (Book and Bold)
Point size: 27 pt

Sub-heading
Fonts: Futura Std (Book)
Point size: 14 pt

Body Text
Fonts: Futura Std (Book)
Point size: 10 pt
Leading: 12 pt
Paragraph spacing: 12
Line length: 45-55

Feedback

Week 6:

General feedback: always remember to make the layout easy for readers to read

Specific feedback: Most of my friends liked my 1st design. I need to digitize it asap. Also, make the contents of the text easily readable and maintain a good reading hierarchy.

Week 7:

Specific feedback: the first shortlisted layout can be used. Mr.Vinod suggested rotating the text even more. 

Reflection

Experience
For me, completing this project was a fruitful learning experience since I learned more about the elements of layout design, basic layout design criteria, organizing content, and formatting text. There were so many things to verify and tweak to make sure it complied with typographic rules, like line length, that I found it difficult to come up with alternate layouts. I found it challenging because I wasn't happy with the bulk of my layout ideas. It was overall a tedious and meticulous process of selecting and experimenting with a plethora of layouts and designs. 

Observations
In order to give text and layouts a sense of solidity and structure, I've noticed how each element must line up with something. This is particularly important when creating layouts that highlight the hierarchy of information. The use of guides and grids is crucial for the orderliness of the text in the layout which ultimately contributes to the overall design, hierarchy, and reading experience. 

Findings
First and foremost, I discovered that it's not at all simple to create layout designs. I also discovered that trying new things is essential to writing an editorial that is both appealing and readable. I've learned during this task that amazing designs don't appear overnight. It needs careful consideration, plenty of editing, and fine-tuning.

Further Reading

Fig.7.1 Typographic design: Form and communication (2015)

I chose the book "Typographic design: Form and communication" for my further reading material.

Reference:
Carter, R., Day, B., Meggs, P. B., Maxa, S., & Sanders, M.
(2015). Typographic design: Form and communication.
Hoboken, New Jersey: John Wiley & Sons, Inc


Fig.7.2 Visual Hierarchy

In the Chapter entitled "Syntax and communication", The author explained Visual hierarchy. In this particular excerpt of the book (page 101), The author demonstrates various different types of layouts and their descriptions. 

This is interesting to me as we have just learned how to design layouts. I am particularly interested in how the author explains the different types of layouts shown on the page. Specifically, through their explanations of "layout 5-44" I can relate my Task 2 layout to the highlighted layout and understand why a diagonal heading increases prominence within a given space. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Final Eportfolio - Games Development

EXPERIENTIAL DESIGN - TASK 3 : CREATIVE EXPERIENCE DESIGN PROJECT PROTOTYPE

EXPERIENTIAL DESIGN - Final Task