Design Principles - Project 2 / Sense of Place

11/10/2022 - 31/10/2022 (Week 7 - Week 10)

Jason Antony (0356335)

Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media

Design Principles

Project 2 / Sense of Place 

Lectures

Dr. Jinchi's introduction to Project 2: Sense of Place. teaching about observation.

  • Using what we learn from nature to create answers to our problems.
  • Design is the result of observation.
  • The observable phenomena are transformed into creative creations.

How Important Observation Is

Being observant implies paying close attention to your surroundings, analyzing them, and paying attention to the nuances.

Observation may be a useful tool for designers to generate ideas. Sources of observation might include objects, common events, the physical environment, and other things. A subject matter is being observed when you actively use your senses to gather information about it while it is in its natural environment.

The ability to observe

We can look at things that already exist and repurpose them, so they need not simply be art.

To be better observers, we should:

1. Increased awareness

2. Recognize trends

3. Look for Possibilities

4. Encourage Creativity

5. Develop a skillset

Instructions


Design Principles - Project 2 / Sense of Place

Visual research

Pictures I took

Fig.1.1 Nusa Penida Island

Fig.1.2 Six Senses Uluwatu Resort

Fig.1.3 Batu Belig beach, Bali

Fig.1.4 Sunrise picture from a ferry

Fig.1.5 Labrisa Bali

Fig.1.6 Savaya Bali

Fig.1.7 Paddy field during sunrise

For this project, I want to portray a sense of beauty and peace. The above are some pictures I took that personally convey that feeling to me. Bali, Indonesia is a place that I hold dear in my heart. The island has always brought me joy and relaxation whenever I visit. All those pictures were different scenes from the times I was on the island. although every one of them has differences, all these pictures convey roughly the same sense of beauty and peace that I want to portray in my project.

References

Fig.2.1 https://pin.it/1S1lvBk

Fig.2.2 https://pin.it/1ofEhbq

Fig.2.3 https://pin.it/30IL3WN

Fig.2.4 https://pin.it/4YWXipc

Fig.2.5 https://pin.it/4ooKPsk

Fig. 2.6 https://pin.it/2AI0Qg3

Fig.2.7 https://pin.it/3TbFyqV

These are some pieces of art, in my view, that effectively represent the concept of this assignment. Through the use of color harmonies and ambiance, these references convey a sense of beauty, relaxation, serenity, and tranquillity.

Sketches

Fig.3.1 sketch 1

This first sketch is from Fig.1.6, a beach club named Savaya Bali is perched above Uluwatu's cliffs. When I visited, I adored the relaxed and calm atmosphere of the location. I consider the idea of sipping beverages while taking in an ocean view to be the height of relaxation.


Fig.3.2 sketch 2

Sketch two is from Fig.1.7. It is a picture of a paddy field in Bali during sunrise. Even though I'm not normally a morning person, I was in love with this vista at that particular time. The beauty left me speechless, and for a little period, life just felt so peaceful.

Fig.3.3 sketch 3

Sketch 3 is from Fig.1.1. I visited Nusa Penida Island in July of last year, and the scenery there was absolutely breathtaking. My lifelong goal is to go to locations that inspire feelings of awe and peaceful beauty. One of them was this location, and I am so happy I went there.

Improved Design

Process

Fig.4.1 coloring backgrounds
Fig.4.2 developing the sky
Fig.4.3 nearing the final step

Results at Different times of day

Fig.5.1 gloomy

Fig.5.2 sunset

Fig.5.3 sunset 2

Fig.5.4 sunrise

Fig.5.5 sunrise 2


My favorites among these are Fig.5.2 and Fig.5.4.

Final design

Fig.6.1 Final design



Feedback

Week 9: either go with the second or third sketch. make sure to not be mistaken by the task. It is not a redrawing exercise. Dr. Jinchi advised me to think of the sense of what the place brings to me first before designing the composition. 

Week 10: Make the sky and sea have more differences. also, saturate the sky more so it shows more color and emphasizes the sunset even further.


Reflection

Through this project, I've come to understand how different cropping, perspectives, and design components may impact the story of a sense of location. This project also stressed the value of observation, of looking at things from a new angle, of knowing what it really means to interpret a sense that a location offers, and of viewing things from a variety of perspectives. I thoroughly loved working on this project and learned a lot about understanding emotions using various design approaches. I now have a deeper understanding of how crucial a feeling of location really is thanks to this project, and I aim to apply the lessons I gained there to all of my future works.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Final Eportfolio - Games Development

EXPERIENTIAL DESIGN - TASK 3 : CREATIVE EXPERIENCE DESIGN PROJECT PROTOTYPE

EXPERIENTIAL DESIGN - Final Task